Tutorial: Glowing, contoured face.


Happy Saturday everyone!  I decided to put together a short tutorial this morning showing how I do my foundation.  It's somewhat of a process, but it looks great every time... and really, it's simple!  


I use two colors of NYX's High Definition foundation.  The darker shade is the foundation that matches my skintone, and the lighter shade (the lightest one NYX makes) is the color used to highlight.

Apply both shades as shown above; the picture on the right might be easier to follow.  The highlighting shade is put in areas where light would generally hit the face.  The lighter shade will bring out areas of your face, while the darker shade will minimize (and thin) other areas.  A lighter shade above the top lip and a darker shade below the bottom lip will enhance the appearance of your lips.  Overall, the face will look thinner, and the cheekbones more defined.


Blend with your fingertips, but make sure the contrast between the two shades of foundation is still there.  Alternating between fingers (one for light and one for dark) or keeping a tissue on hand to wipe off excess foundation will help.



The two foundations create a bright blow and a minor contouring effect.  You could stop here, or add more depth with a contouring powder of your choice.


The contouring color that I use is part of a blush duo by Avon (you can definitely tell I use this a lot).  A good contouring color is darker than your skintone, but not too dark that it looks unnatural even after blending.  Bronzer can be used for some contouring, but I find that it has too much orange in it which makes it look less natural.  Plus, sometimes I like to use bronzer instead of a pink blush after contouring... when both are applied, you can definitely see the difference in color.

Apply the contouring shade to each of the areas where the darker foundation was applied.  The contouring powder adds more contrast between the two colors, which adds more definition.  Blend until it looks more natural. I use an eyeshadow brush to draw two lines down the length of my nose.  This can help to make a nose look thinner and more straight. When blending these lines, I avoid blending towards the center of my nose (where the highlight is), and focus more towards blending down the sides.  Sometimes I add more contour color under the inner eyebrow, into the inner corner of the eyes.  This can help make eyes that are farther apart look closer together.

Add some blush or bronzer, and you're all done!

What do you think?  Does your foundation routine involve several steps as well, or is yours more simple?  Let me know if you try this!

-M.

25 comments:

  1. This is a really good tutorial. I honestly don´t have much experience in using make up so this was really helpful! :)

    http://marilovescupcakes.blogspot.com.ar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Post! Great Blog, BTW :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good!
    My foundation routine is a little simpler but I contour because my face is asimmetrical. I'm not a pro but I try to improve everyday!
    I use a mousse foundation for combination skin that matches my skin tone, then I use two mineral foundations to set the mousse and contour, one is lighter and the other is a bit darker. ;-)
    I'm so happy I've found your blog... nice to meet you!
    kisses from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg so pretty, great job on the tutorial! I always use a bronzer and highlighter - never thought to use different colored foundation! I'll have to keep that in mind :)

    Have a happy Monday!

    xo,
    Deena

    http://dimamura.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deena! I experimented with this a lot... first with a matching foundation and a contouring powder (which added depth, but not the brightness I wanted), then a lighter foundation and a contouring powder (which washed me out), and I finally settled on twisting the two methods together. I love it!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous look and great tutorial.

    Check me out sometime :)
    xoxo Chris
    http://myfashiontrendencies.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. this tutorial is amazing - your photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an awesome tutorial! Wow. I am def going to try this out. Thanks so much for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an amazing tutorial! So detailed. I'm not much of a foundation person myself so I'll deffs give this a go. You're gorgeous by the way!

    whas-alexandrawaring.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Let me know how it works out for you!

      Delete
  9. thanks so much for stopping by my blog today!
    i'm so glad you did, so that i can find yours! i've been learning how to do this, but this post filled in some of the gaps that i was confused about. thanks so much for sharing! can't wait to read more of your posts. i'm definitely following now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow! I'm glad I could help, it was a fun tutorial to make (as all makeup tutorials are).

      Delete
  10. this is such a good idea...I've been using a contouring powder- but like you said, it doesn't give the 'glowey' look ...will have to gove it a go! great blog :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this is amazing, absolutely love it :) am following you now x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tutorial! You look fantastic! IMO your chin is too pointy. Maybe you should add a bit of the darker color at the tip of your chin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing tutorial girl!!! I suck at make up but realllly wanna try this! But it's gonna be quite hard as I 1st need to get the foundations (No biggie for most girls).... But I never know which ones to get! I'm quite fair an all the ones I seem to get make me look orange or give that dreaded darker line on my jawline - Not very natural lookin! So is the foundation u use to start with is ment to be the same colour as urskin tone & NOT darker?? Btw u look great & i'm lovin ur blog! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just tried this with a Korean BB cushion as highlighter (too white for me to use all over my face) and an older powder foundation a shade deeper than my tone that I keep for when I get a tan.
    W-O-W.
    Without the extra contouring, and just the two-tone foundation step contouring, wow. Good job with the pics and the tut!

    ReplyDelete