New flash!

Last night at the very last minute I went out and picked up a new external flash.  I was having a lot of trouble with graininess while using only indoor lighting because of the high ISO settings I needed to use.  I'm not a fan of the harsh shadows from the built-in flash (or any other front-facing flash), and I have a couple other external flashes that I've been using, but they're ancient and the flash is way too intense.  I was looking for more of a natural looking light.

Well, I think I found it!  It was the cheapest one Best Buy had for Nikon (at about $50), but it seems to work just how I need it too!  My other external flashes didn't have the ability to swivel from left to right (as well as up and down) like this one does; I LOVE the effect of bouncing the light off a source on the side instead of just the ceiling, or a wall behind me.

It's a LOT different than the external flashes I had prior, so I need to get used to it a bit, but here's what I got from playing around with it last night.


I shot these in manual mode with my 35mm at f/1.8, ISO 100, 1/20.  Also adjusted curves in CS2.  I'm happy with the way they came out, but I'll be playing around some more tonight!  



-M.

No comments:

Post a Comment