Hectic week.

Happy almost Friday (thank goodness).

What a week it's been.  A cold one, at that.  This weather has been messing with us quite a bit here in Michigan.  Although we had two nice Saturdays in a row, one with temperatures in the high 50s/low 60s and one in the mid 40s, Tuesday morning was sub-zero, and temperatures for the past few days have been topping out in the teens.  Thankfully this weekend will be back in the thirties (I can't believe I'm saying that).  But next Tuesday reads 52 degrees and thunderstorms...?  I can't keep up.

On Sunday, I rekindled my love for Noodles & Co.'s Pasta Fresca after a nasty bloodsugar crash (that could have easily been avoided, of course).  I used to eat at this place all the time in high school, but I don't think I've ever tried any of their other pastas.  I really wonder if I'm the only one who puts Soy Sauce all over my Pasta Fresca (with extra Parmesan cheese and Parmesan chicken).  I wish I could remember what made me come up with this idea... but it's delicious!
Dave and I spent time at one of our favorite spots on Sunday night with some friends and had some sort of cute little heart-to-heart, which was then captured in photos.
On Monday, the idea of Geocaching, which I got into during my time in Maryland, was brought back up.  I can't wait to get started on this, hopefully this weekend!  It seems like there are many more popping up around here than there were last summer.  It's great to see so many people getting involved in such a cool hobby!
Then, unfortunately, late Monday night my power went out.... on possibly the coldest night we have had thus far.  That turned our planned movie-night to a bust.  My laptop might have saved this, if I had charged it.  Dave and I lit candles for light (and heat), listened to country music, and played card games with some nervous and sleepy little puppies.

Tuesday, which was supposed to be the highlight of the week with a dinner planned that night, was hectic.  I'm a planner and a list-maker, and I depend heavily on routine.  With the power still down, I had to drop my puppies at my mom's and get ready for work there, then run back to my house to turn the water on to a slow trickle to keep the pipes from freezing, and grab my dress and heels for dinner before finally getting to work late (phew).  Getting to work at a different time than usual already messes with me a bit, but having to change my whole plan of getting prepared for something ahead of time REALLY does the trick. I had planned on taking pictures that night (I even wrote this on my little list, see below), but as you can imagine, that didn't work out.  We had a picture taken at the dinner by a photographer... I hope we get to snag a copy!
Thankfully, the power was back on by around 3 that afternoon (also, thankfully I turned our water on, because pipes were bursting around the complex that night).  I still had to make a stop to pick up a few things before getting all dolled up and heading there, and we definitely were late, but it all turned out well and we had a great time (and a couple HUGE steaks).

Yesterday was calm.  Work was normal, leftover steak from the night before for lunch was delicious (although in combination with the exhaustion from the day before, it induced quite the food coma), and getting home to no plans and no need to rush around was awesome.  We went to our favorite spot, had a couple drinks with a friend, and ended the night with working power and heat.

It's now almost the weekend.  Although it will still be cold, Geocaching is on my list of things to do.  Also on my list is art journaling!  I stumbled upon art journaling through a few blogs I was checking out earlier this week and fell in love with the idea.  What a great way to use the photos we take almost everyday.

I'd really like to make it to the museum to see that Lego exhibit I've been planning to see for the past couple weeks, but this is going on until some time in February.  The Fire and Ice Show is this weekend in Downtown Rochester; for any of you that might be in Southeast Michigan, the list of activities is here.  Frankenmuth's Snowfest is this weekend, too!  If I weren't so clumsy, I'd definitely go to the ice skating rink in Detroit.

I know winter is cold and dreary, and a lot of the time you'd really like to keep cooped up in your warm, comfortable homes, but do a quick search on the internet for events going on in your area.  There might be a few annual festivals close to you that really help you to appreciate the coldest months of the year!

Any plans for the weekend?

-M.

4 comments:

  1. Wow what a busy week you have had! It's pretty cold here in the south west of England and we still have some snow on the ground, but it's due to warm up weather wise - hurrah! Couldn't come at a better time as I am off to my brother and sister-in-laws tomorrow for my sis-in-laws birthday party! Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    I've nominated your blog for a Liebster Award! You can get more info and the questions at http://stefichop.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/the-liebster-award.html

    stefichop x

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I love your shots of the candles. My fancy-pants dslr broke down a few weeks ago, and now I'm just stuck with using my babycam which, while it has great picture quality, just doesn't have the pzazz of my dearly departed dslr.

    If you don't mind, could you check out my blog?
    http://happy-in-between.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking about geocaching yesterday! I cached a few times with one of my best friends before the advent of smartphones; we had a fancy hand held GPS tracker. How times have changed!

    Glad your power is back on; send some cool weather my way, and I'll send some warm towards yours...

    www.thereinventionofjessica.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete