Goodbye, 2012. Welcome, 2013.

In the past year I've been all over the place.  Moving, starting new jobs, meeting new people and saying goodbye to others... it's the beginning of a new year, and I think I'm finally in the process of settling down.

I learned a lot in 2012.  I made a lot of big decisions, without the amount of thought necessary to back them up.  I also learned, the hard way of course, which of the people in my life were worth my time and which one's weren't.  There was heartbreak and lots of tears, anger, and regret.


(I drove across this bridge, 5 miles.  That's pretty good for someone who is afraid of water.)

I'm still a pretty big believer in the idea that everything happens for a reason.  All of these things that happened this year really proved this to me.  If you had asked me a year ago, I would've said that picking up everything, quitting my job, and moving out of state would be the last thing I would do anytime soon.  However, just a few months later I was searching for jobs and any way out I could possibly take.  Little did I know I'd be moving back home again a few months later.  It seemed like I'd set up one home, just to box it up and move to another.





This past year I visited parts of New Jersey, New York, Delaware, Pennsylvania, and Maryland for the first time.  I made 2 trips from Michigan, to Maryland and back to interview within two weeks, and even went back to work the next day after driving through rain one way and snow the other.

My first speeding ticket was this spring, in the middle of nowhere on the turnpike in Ohio (ouch).  I made new friends, and realized how great it was to have a fresh start in a place where no one knows who you are.  I was alone out there, but I made it work, and in the end I had a blast.

I saw one of my favorite bands that I've been listening to for years in Philly, and one of my favorite singers in Ocean City, NJ.  I took my camera for a walk in New York City.

I saw the ocean for the first time (that I can remember), and a HUGE slimy slug.  Maryland has a lot of weird bugs.








I found an obsession with red lipstick and cut my hair short, on a whim, right after stepping out of the shower. I wore a 24-hour heart monitor for the first time.



I found out that organic ice cream, "Pluots" (a mix between a plum and an apricot), pudding made from bananas and avocados, and crab are all delicious.




I celebrated two years with my unlucky Cobalt in October.  I adopted Skittles, a Maltese Pekingese, and I lost my kitty cat, Phoebe to a disease.









I fell in love the quickest I ever have in my life with a little kitten a friend found in his neighborhood, and later that day took her to be put to sleep.



I caught up with old friends and made new memories, and took my first trip to a real "Up North"


  






The chance I took in 2012 to experience a clean slate and a variety of new experiences and lessons sounded like the perfect way to start a new life, but instead, being so far away, and coming back again, made me realize how much I appreciated what I had back at home all along.



Last year was full of excitement and changes.  After surprising myself as much as I did in 2012, I can't wait to see where I'll be even six months from now.


So welcome, 2013.  Glad to have you.

-M.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. :) So cool to have all of the pictures throughout the year and be able to look through them like a timeline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that's how your 365 challenge will make you feel a year from now!! I need to do something like that.

      Delete